Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Public Advocate Betsy Gotbaum on Willets Point

Willets Point Vote
Yesterday, the City Council voted on the development plan for Willets Point. It's no secret that I've had some
serious reservations about this plan since it was introduced.

I have voiced my concerns that the needs of local business owners in the Willets Point must be addressed. For months, I’ve been advocating that the city sit down with local business owners and workout a situation that meets everyone’s needs. And it appears – for the majority of businesses – that this may have happened. This is welcome news.

Many of these business owners have invested considerable amounts time and money improve their community, and many have supplied needed services to New Yorkers for generations. I hope this current plan takes that into account, for we all want an ideal future for Willets Point. I think we can all agree that the best way to move forward is to make sure that all parties - the city, the community, and local business owners - have an equal say in the development plan.
Betsy Gotbaum

No comments: